Monday, September 15, 2014

Week of Craziness (9/8-9/14)‏

This week was probably the craziest of them all.

Monday-- I got a call from the Assistants and they told me they needed me to go to Tehachapi on Tuesday because Sister Kay's companion was going home on Wednesday. This was the saddest news ever. I am sorry if this email is morbid because of my sadness of leaving the people I have grown to love so much! Monday night I said bye to the Evan's family and Letty (who at that time, was getting baptized in 5 days.) The hardest goodbye I have ever said. 


Tuesday-- I packed and got all ready to leave. The Chans had us over for lunch and celebrated my birthday with some delicious cupcakes and karaoke! :) 



Then I went and said goodbye to the Haralson's and Smith's in the ward. The Vickrey's had us over for dinner and they did the sweetest thing ever. They also sang to me and celebrated my birthday early!



I shared my mission scripture 2 Nephi 22:2 and bore my testimony of how much I have grown to love the gospel even more and the people I have served in Palmdale. Tears were flowing and I was just struggling with saying goodbye to these wonderful people. I feel so blessed to have served in that area and to have gotten to know so many wonderful people who have changed my life.


After that we said goodbye to Elder Crandall (District leader) and Elder Billings. I love them both, they are so hilarious and such great missionaries! 

 Then Sister Barney and Sister Nemrow dropped me off in Mojave and Sister Kay (my new companion whom I already knew before this and whom I love dearly) and her comp picked me up and took me away to Tehachapi. 


Wednesday-- We woke up and drove to Bakersfield (about an hour away) to drop off Sister Kay's companion at the Mission Office. We talked to President Wilson briefly and then drove back for a lunch appointment we had with a sweet Sister in the ward. We spent the day meeting the ward and planning for how we were going to attack the work in this area. We are basically white washing this area. This area needs a lot of work and we are super excited to get started. We also stopped by a frozen yogurt shop in town that Sister Smith in the ward owns, and she gave us free frozen yogurt! :) She is great and a really big help with the missionary work in the ward.

Thursday/Friday/Saturday-- There were 2 bears found in town and they were shot... It's alright mom, you don't need to worry about gangsters robbing us, just bears and mountain lions now. ;) hahaha 
We had district meeting and there are all sisters serving in Tehachapi (there are three wards) but our district leader travels from Bakersfield to come to meetings. The elders that were here before left really vague notes on who they had been teaching. 2 of these people's notes said that they lived in dome houses, but didn't have the exact address for them... SO NOW WE ARE ON THE SEARCH FOR ALL OF THE DOME HOUSES. Hahahaha it is actually super hilarious! Sister Kay and I always laugh so hard about the dome houses, but we are super determined to find these people that the other missionaries were talking to.  



Sunday-- It was good to meet everyone at church! I introduced myself and bore my testimony during sacrament meeting. Sister Kay gave the ward an idea to do a 40 Day Fast to help the missionary work start picking up in the ward. I've never done this thing before so I will expound on it--- The goal is to have each family pick a day within the next 40 days and fast and pray to have opportunities to share the gospel of Jesus Christ with their friends and family that haven't heard about it. We are really excited for the miracles that will happen because of the faith of the ward. :) We have already seen tiny miracles! We got 4 new investigators this week and are SO excited to reach out to more families and invite them to come closer to Christ.
We went over to the Grier's house for Brother Grier's birthday celebration. He turned 90 years old!!! What a spry little man. He is so amazing and we love him so much. We did service for him and his wife on Saturday to help them get ready for the party. It was fun! :) We had dinner at the Chambers and they had a little mini birthday party for me which was so nice of them :) Sister Kay secretly told them about my birthday and so they made it a really awesome and a very special day! :)

Things are going well and I am excited to work hard in this new area. I will try to attach as many pictures as I can so you can get a better idea of this area. Lots of hills and rural-ness going on here. Definitely different from Palmdale, but I will go where the Lord wants me to go and serve with all of my heart. 





I love this work and the gospel more than anything and am so grateful to be a missionary. 
The world is crazy and always changing, but Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are always constant and true. We can find truth and light in this dark and scary world if we choose to exercise our faith in our Lord and Savior. He will always lead us in the direction we need to go and ultimately lead us back to Him. 

The church is true, I promise.

Love,
Sister Loar
xoxo


HAPPY BIRTHDAY SISTER LOAR ~ WE SENT HER SUPPLIES TO MAKE CAKE POPS!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment